Thursday, May 17, 2007

Her Royal Highness on the Throne

She doesn't say more than 3 or 4 words. But she understands everything. And, if it weren't for the fact that I'm more than willing to admit that sometimes diapers are just easier, I'd have her potty trained by now. Audrey has for weeks now been very cognizant of what's in her diaper. As soon as the deed is done, she pats her bottom and mumbles something to me that is a cross between "diaper" and "poop." She immediately wants to be changed and will obediently march into the family room where her diapers are, hand one to me, and lie down.

One day a couple of weeks ago, I was sitting in my room reading. Audrey was playing her daily game of Pull Piglet off of the Winnie-the-Pooh Lamp. Suddenly she stopped for a few minutes. I could tell it was going to be a stinky one, and I waited momentarily for the customary bottom pat and Audrey-speak. But she turned around and marched out of my room. I resumed reading knowing from having had three in diapers at once that it's really OK if they sit in it for a few minutes. I looked up again when I heard her little feet padding up to my door. And suddenly there she stood gripping the wipes box in one hand and clutching a diaper in the other. She was all smiles and pride.

Most recently, her pottty escapades have put her on the actual potty; well, not the actual potty, but the mini-potty. She gets so tickled with herself when she's on her mini-throne, and she'd like the whole world to come in and admire the show. As soon as she sat down tonight, she pointed to the door and said, "Da-da?" indicating that she'd be much obliged if I would page her Daddy so he could voice his pride in his little princess as well.

As soon as the show was over (and it was truly a show since there was no output), she got up and climbed up on the stool to admire herself in the mirror. And that's when she went...

No comments: