Friday, October 31, 2008
Thursday, October 30, 2008
I'll admit. I've never done the Tagging Thing before, but my friend Courtney at Life on Courtney Lane tagged me with 7 Random Things About Me, so I'll humor her and likely bore you with my 7 issues that may someday lead me to a therapist's couch:
First, we must put the rules in play:
1. Link to the person that tagged you and put the rules on your blog
2. Share 7 weird or random facts about yourself...
3. Tag 7 random people at the end of your post and link to their blog...
4. Let each person know they have been tagged by leaving a note on their blog...
OK, so you know I'm a little quirky because...
1. I'm very particular about how my dishwasher is loaded. Sometimes my dear husband loads it, and I always go behind him and reload it. It's not that I'm ungrateful. And I always do my reorganization on the sly so that he doesn't feel unappreciated. It's just that no one else seems to have any inkling about how to correctly load a dishwasher.
2. My favorite childhood character was Winnie-the-Pooh. What child doesn't love loveable ol' Pooh Bear? Other children, however, probably don't get labeled by their dear parents with the unfortunate nickname of "Pooh". I did. And I'd cringe when Mom and Dad would address me as such. My friends would do a double take and, laughing uproariously and mockingly, ask, "Why did your parents just call you poo?"
3. Even though I grew up in the wilds of Africa, I HATE bugs, especially spiders and cockroaches. Spiders make me break out in a sweat. Literally. Once when Mark was out of town, I discovered a big, hairy, tarantula-like one (I'm NOT kidding) in the baby's room. It took my dear husband at least a half hour on speaker phone to convince me to stop panicking long enough to beat the ugly, nasty critter. Thankfully, my eldest boy who is also the man of the house in Mark's absence rescues me from most killer insects now.
4. I've always wanted to try my hand at waitressing, I mean serving or whatever they call it now. If I was a waitress or server or whatever, I would make sure that if my customer asked to hold the tomatoes, the tomatoes would be held. And if my customer requested a beverage sans lemon, the beverage would be served sans lemon. I would make great tips.
5. Chick-fil-A is my favorite restaurant (fast food at least), and our new one just opened today. We took the kids this morning, and they broke in the playground. I love Chick-fil-A because it appears to be the last remaining establishment in America where service is not dead. I have recently begun a campaign in my home to encourage my little people to respond to "Thank you" with "My pleasure" because, well, it is simply my pleasure to hear such pleasant speech.
6. I am addicted to curriculum and all educational materials.
7. I bungee jumped on spring break in Panama City in 19 90 something. Someday I want to sky dive, but I'll probably wait until the kids are self-sufficient.
So now comes the tagging part. And I know this will be painful for some of you; don't feel obligated! At least check out some of my friends' blogs, though:
Mama Knucker Hatch at Our Golden Apples
TeacherMommy at Diapers and Dragons
Mare at Mare's Musings
Mitzi at The Road Less Traveled
My wonderful sister-in-law at Phoenicie Konnection
Nikowa at Knowledge House Academy
and...although I think she's already done this: Crossview at Crossview Academy
Saturday, October 25, 2008
She was a bright spot in our lives, and I consider it an honor to have called her my sister. Jennie, I love you and will miss you!
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
My daughter has her first crush. The boys were teasing her with a sign that said, "Alex loves ___________". I told them to stop. Then I started in with a little teasing of my own until she actually admitted it to me. Then I stopped because you just don't tease a girl about it if it's really true. Plus, I am a little bit of an expert on schoolgirl crushes. Thankfully, she's waited until the ripe old age of 8. I had my first crush around 6 years of age.
So we had a special moment. I disclosed
"No! You don't have to do that!" she said emphatically.
Good. She passed the test. This means she's still just at the "take a quick peek at him during Sunday School" stage...the stage where I want her to stay for a really, really, really, really, really, really long time.
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Friday, October 3, 2008
"Oh, but Mom, we LOVE to fall asleep with the TV on!"
Now, who's going to fall for THAT? Well, yours truly did because 2 hours later we were on our way downtown. We had a lovely evening--dinner at a Japanese steakhouse, which coincides well with the fact that we will be studying Japan next week. Then we tried to settle them down for bed. Of course, it didn't help that their beds were right in front of a picture window on the 42nd floor. "This is a great place to play I Spy!" one of them said. And falling asleep with the TV on? Right. Didn't happen. Three of the four did finally get to sleep, and the last one gave in once the TV was turned off. Didn't last for long, however. One or the other was up at some point during the night.
A sleepless night but a fun outing. I'm sure we'll trade sleep for a change of pace the next time the opportunity arises.
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Voting ends on Monday, October 6!
Girlz Party Nominees
Eunice - A unicorn whose favorite food is a lollipop, Eunice is ready to lead as President! A former Vice President of the Girls' Club, Eunice led with honesty and integrity. When not working hard, Eunice may be found playing on the playground with her alley cat friend Tina.
Boyz Party Nominees