Saturday, December 6, 2008

Hangin' Out with My Girl

If you know me well, I've probably admitted to you at one point or another that I am just not a baby and little kids' person. I know, I'm hanging my head. It's funny because when I got pregnant with Alex, every friend--and maybe even a stranger or two--with a baby said, "Oh, you're pregnant! Would you like to hold my baby?" Uhhhh....not really, but...Sometimes I'd just rather opt for a teenager problem--like keeping them from sneaking out or stealing the car--over the spontaneous vomit or explosive diarrhea.

But I realized last night it's more than just the diapers and all night long feedings. When the kids are little, going to a show is, well, an experience...but not always in the good way. First, you book the tickets to be tortured by a singing purple dinosaur or 4 colorful, dancing men who are a little on the effeminate side. The show must take place at just the right time: it cannot overlap with an eating or napping slot. On the day of the show, just getting ready takes a few hours. Stroller? Check. Then add the diapers, wipes, and diaper rash cream; throw in a change of clothes in case of emergency (see vomit and diarhhea above); add the snacks; don't forget the blankie because if there is a tantrum or owie of some sort, the blankie may be the only thing that prevents a total meltdown; and a few toys are a great way to address the boredom or distraction the child may feel when the show passes the 10 minute mark.

It's so much fun to be past those days now. My biggest baby will celebrate a birthday next week; she will be entering her last year in single digits. For her birthday present, my mom gave us both tickets to the American Stars Concert. This is a Christmas concert performed by past American Idols. For those who follow AI, we were entertained by Kimberley Locke from Season 2, Georgia's own Diana DiGarmo from Season 3, and Season 7's David Hernandez and Chikeze.

As we walked out the door yesterday, I grabbed nothing but my purse with the tickets. We had dinner at Grandma and Grandpa's and then leisurely made our way to the Classic Center in Athens. We enjoyed all 2 hours of the show, which may even have sparked some Christmas spirit in me (which has been lacking this year, but that's another story). After the concert, I looked at my big little girl, and, with a sparkle in my eye, suggested an introduction to tradition: hot, late night Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Obviously, she didn't decline. I know eating doughnuts at 10:30 at night isn't the healthiest thing, but when you're making memories a little chocolate glaze doesn't hurt anyone.

6 comments:

CrossView said...

You do know how to partay! I want doughnuts at 10:30 p.m.!

Anonymous said...

Mmm... Krispy Kreme...

bethany said...

I am ultra sappy, so this entry actually brought tears to my eyes. The mother-daughter thing always gets me.

dclouser said...

This photo REALLY shows the resemblance between you two (all except the blue vs. brown eyes)! I love you both. Glad you had a good time and that diapers are a thing of the past! Yippee.

Anonymous said...

Being that neither Tom Builder or myself even went to a concert until highschool...you ARE the coolest Mom. And then to head off to Krispy Kreme???? UBER-COOL.

Mariel Nonis said...

this is such a great blog. thank you!
being a mummy sounds fun, i can't wait!