Friday, December 5, 2008

Fear Factor

You would never have known I was returning to my alma mater for the field trip yesterday the way I prepared for it. The day before I printed a UGA map out from online, and I even called the entymology department...just to make sure the map was accurate and to procure parking recommendations. Having never visited the science department in the latter years of my higher education, I wanted to ensure I would not be late due to my wandering aimlessly around campus. Punctuality is one of just a handful of golden rules by which I abide. Obsessively. And compulsively.

However, since I had to circle the parking deck two or three...hundred times. And, despite the fact that I literally ran with all 4 kids in tow--one of whom (I won't mention any names) firmly planted her little pink shoes and refused to run, and so I had to carry her over hill and dale, through parking lots, up stairs, down stairs, in and out of throngs of amused college students--making me feel old indeed. Because of the aforementioned parking deck and despite my good intentions, we were late. But just by a few minutes.

We tracked down the Entymology Department using our best bug instincts and crashed into the room to join our little group, a group for whom this was our first meeting, so I don't even want to venture a guess about their first impressions. Once we got settled, though, we thoroughly enjoyed the presentation in Room 426. I enjoyed it especially because it allowed me to confront my fears. Notice I said "confront." An actual resolution would certainly cost years of therapy.

Meet my fears:

Believe it or not, I touched one of these Madagascar Cockroaches...just because it was funny how it hissed at me. I almost hissed back at it until I remembered I was the Parent. You know, maturity, blah, blah, blah...



I was offered this same hands-on opportunity...yeah, right! I couldn't stand these things crunching under my feet in Africa; can't stand 'em now either!

And, though my inferior fits-in-my-pocket camera wouldn't quite focus, when the lady brought these out, I couldn't help but giggle a little when I thought of my Audrey Bug:

I'm sure everyone else thought I was giggling out of some sadistic feeling of glee in seeing a bug dead. Wait a minute...

Which does bring to mind the fact that halfway through the presentation, Michael reached out and squished a little bug with the end of his pencil. I don't believe this was a specimen but rather some innocent little buggy chap who heard there was a party in this room and ventured down for a look-see. "Don't kill any bugs in here, Michael," I whispered out of the corner of my mouth while keeping my eyes on the presentation lady who was at the moment allowing cockroaches to roam freely on her hands and arms. I quickly brushed the little bug corpse on to the floor to remove all evidence. You can't blame the boy. He's a trained bug killer because that is his job when TravelDaddy is gone.

Honestly, we all actually had a really good time, although my fellow bug hater disklike-er told me afterwards that next time, if we were to return to my alma mater for a field trip, she might prefer a visit to the veterinarian school where the animals are, though perhaps not that much larger than some of these enormous bugs, much less creepy more cuddly.




A cockroach, pale in color because it hasn't completed its metamorphosis.

8 comments:

Teacher Mommy said...

You are a braver woman than I. By FAR. I still have nightmares about my mandatory bug collection project from Biology in high school. I should mention, by the way (and with no small measure of pride), that I managed to complete said collection WITHOUT EVER ONCE TOUCHING AN ACTUAL BUG (at least with bare hands). And no, I didn't cheat. I just became very, very good at manipulation of small bodies with various implements such as pins and pencils. I got an A-.

You've effectively eliminated any (very small) consideration I may have ever had of homeschooling, by the way. It's now All Your Fault and I can be cheerfully Guilt-Free. I'll mention your name if anyone ever asks if I'd consider doing it.

:D

Kathleen said...

Awww, TeacherMommy, I'm saddened. Not because I've erased your guilt--guilt is never a good thing; believe me, I know--but because I've erased all desire to consider homeschooling! Please note: I did not touch any of the bugs pictured above, except of course the hissing cockroach, which I touched of my own volition. I just brought the kids here and they learned. And note to self: when the kids start dissecting things, send them to an expert...although I possess a catalog from which I may order a fetal pig (and have it shipped to my house)...no thank you. Admittedly, I enjoyed the dissecting parts of Biology; I just don't want that awful formaldehyde smell in my house! :)

Darcie Johnson said...

If I ever see a woman dragging more than 2 children in tow, I am always forgiving of being late or looking a little frazzeled. What a great field trip for the kids and congratulations on facing your fears. I too don't like the cockroach family and still get chills at seeing snakes. In Junior high we dissected the baby pig and I vomited when my finger slid down the scapel and through the brain. EEWWW!

Jess the photographer behind the lens at JWilsonPix said...

Yes.. congrats on facing your fear... I dont think I could do this at home either.. its def one we would have to go somewhere to do... lol.. I did the frog and an earthworm in biology and that was as far as we ever got.. I cant imagine doing a pig or anything bigger... yuck!!!

Hope you have a great weekend!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, your kids seem really at ease with the bugs. There was a small spider on the carpet this morning and almost all of my kids ran away screaming.
I cannot imagine ever touching a cockroach on purpose. Just once in Hawaii I stepped on one of those huge ones in the middle of the night and that thing popped like a firecracker. It still makes me shiver!

CrossView said...

What an aawesome field trip!
I, uh, wouldn't want to try any hands-on experiences. But my kids would love it!

Anonymous said...

I learned about your fear of bugs second hand one night at AWANA. You weren't there that night, but your son Michael was. He had raised his hand in response to the question, "What is something that you could do for someone else to show them you love them?" Michael was all too willing to share that you could kill a bug that was in the room, because that is what he does for his mother!

Looks like it was a fantastic experience!

Kris said...

Yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, YUCK!

I was grossed out enough when hubby returned home from Iraq with wayyyyy-too many pictures of him HOLDING scorpions, playing with camel spiders.....etc. NO thanks.

Alas, I was blessed with a budding bug-fanatic (we even call her "Bug"), so my life includes a flock (flock?) of fake bugs to be scared out of my wits with while cleaning up the playroom. I dread biology with that one.

Thankfully, I was able to avoid the whole dissection thing with my two homeschooled teens because....aww, too bad.....customs wouldn't ship dead, preserved critters overseas!

Kudos, I don't think I would have "petted" the critters!