Saturday, November 22, 2008

When Control Freaks Set Up Christmas

If you've been a reader for even just a short time, you might have gathered that I might possibly have some tendencies toward being a little bit controlling sometimes. Christmas brings out the worst of it. Not Christmas as the season or as the celebration of Christ's birth, but the decorating part. And it's not like I haven't taken steps toward rigging set-up day so that it is a little more Control Freak friendly.

Last year we added a third Christmas tree: two are downstairs, one for me and one for the kids, but the downstairs kid one still has to look un-Charlie-Brown-tree-like; one is upstairs, and the kids can do to it whatever their Christmas spirit leads them to do. However, I discovered one fact I overlooked last year: I should have packed all of their stuff on the top of each box. I like to work box by box. Neatly. In an orderly fashion. But because their stuff was not on top, each box was thrown open and rifled through, the contents strewn all over. All in a matter of minutes. Before I could stop it. I may or may not have issued some warnings in a very harsh tone because nothing was being done the right way, i.e., my way. OK, so I did employ a harsh tone. I may have ruined Christmas. Again.

On the upside, I might be improving. A little. I only rearranged two ornaments on the kids' downstairs tree. I also noticed they had ingeniously turned the tip of each branch up in an attempt to prevent each precariously placed ornament from sliding off. I controlled myself and only fixed a couple of those.

So maybe I'm on the road to recovery. But then again, you'd think by now I'd have all the kinks of Christmas set-up day worked out. Maybe next year I won't ruin Christmas.

6 comments:

@nnie said...

There's no chance you ruined Christmas, but used your God-given organizational skills to create a beautiful environment for your children that they will always, always remember. :) It looks beautiful from here.

dclouser said...

You have got to be the FIRST person who has decorated for Christmas - I'm impressed! Wish you had posted a picture of the 3 trees!

Darcie Johnson said...

I am proud of you for recognizing that the tree doesn't have to look perfect like we want. The important thing is that the kids had a blast creating another Christmas memory and they did it all by theirselves. You are fortunate to have 2 trees, I remember people coming to Home Depot when I worked there and asked for tree donations for families that couldn't afford it. It is a luxury to most. Merry Christmas!

Kathleen said...

Annie ~ Thank you for adding a positive spin. :-) I think this year may have gone beyond the benefits of organization, though! Something I'm working on...that control thing.

Debbi ~ We don't usually put them up this early. It's tradition for us to set up the weekend after T'giving, but since everyone will be here then, we thought we'd get a head start. We sure will miss you! I'll try to be surrogate mom to your grown babies! :)

Darcsesa ~ We are indeed blessed! We do the fake ones, though, so we don't have to buy new ones each year. 'Course by continually adding them to combat my willful personality...

mareseatoats said...

Oh, how I can identify with this one! We only put up one tree and I have toughed out the clumpy ornament stage. Mine are old enought to use stools now so that helps. It is so hard to step back and just let them do it! I let them help put decorations other places in the house too. It is comical to see how one spot is so attractive to them that they feel it needs so much to make it just right. Do I "adjust" things? A bit. I try to be very discreet or make suggestions to spread things out. They are begging me to pull the boxes out of the attic. I have to admit I am pretty eager too!

CrossView said...

Ah.... I remember the days when I wanted everything "just so".... LOL! Now I've grown accustomed to our Charlie Brown trees and decorations and would miss them terribly.

And for the record, I didn't give up the tendencies to aim for perfection. I was simply outnumbered! =P