Sunday, November 9, 2008

Butter and Tennis Elbow

I'm not a big fan of this growing old stuff. It didn't used to bother me. In fact, I used to scoff at the 30, 40, and 50 somethings who would bemoan another year's passing. I scoffed because I was immune. I could eat whatever I wanted. And when I say whatever I wanted, I mean it. I could eat Snickers for breakfast, pizza and brownies for lunch, and cake chased by a milk shake for dinner. Wouldn't gain a pound. Now I no longer roll my eyes when a friend says she gains weight just by looking at a Crunch Bar; now I understand.

Then of course there's the hair. Because I'm half-Asian, I always assumed my heritage would make me at least half-immune to the grays. I mean, how many young to middle-aged Asian women do you see sporting a head full of white hair? Not many. But I've got them. Got my first one after my first was born. Then one for each baby after that. After the baby of the babies was born, well, the gray began to conspire against me. I try to keep after them with the tweezers. I really don't want to start the cycle of coloring my hair. I know. I'm vain.

Vanity is one thing. Then there are the small painful annoyances like backaches. Or tennis elbow. I first began to experience tennis elbow a few months ago. It was an easy, self-prescribed fix: become temporarily left-handed, however clumsy that made me. It worked. The pain went away. Until the other day.

The project from the Prairie Primer was some good ol' fashioned butter churnin' minus the churn and the fresh-from-the-cow cream, of course. We've done this project before only each of the children had their own personal baby jar filled with cream. Much easier and quicker to shake into butter consistency. But no more baby food jars in this household, so I had the bright idea of making one large tupperware of butter and having the kids take turns.

They were all highly enthusiastic about a first turn at the shaking. Their enthusiasm faded somewhat after each turn when they realized how difficult this task was. I therefore assumed most of the shaking. I saw Jacob eye the extraordinarily large value sized block of butter from Sam's Club that was sitting on the counter. Finally, he couldn't take it any longer. "Mommy, there's butter right there," he offered.

"I...know..." I said, breathlessly as I continued to shake the stubborn cream, "...but...I want...us to do...this...just like...Laura and Mary." Yeah, kids. You're not going to fool me into using modern conveniences. You're going to make butter this way so you can learn how difficult life was for them. So you can understand how easy we have it.

I'm not sure any lessons were learned except that I'm getting old. Because all of that butter making brought all of the pain back to my elbow. Like I said, I'm not a big fan of this getting old stuff. Not a huge fan of our homemade butter either.

5 comments:

CrossView said...

Sorry but I'm laughing here! Growing old (*ahem older*) ain't for sissies. I could eat whatever, whenever, till I was mid 30's. My hair started graying at 17. Now it's white. Aches and pains? I won't even begin to list them...
I hear ya!

Teacher Mommy said...

Oh, I hear you on that! Especially the aching elbows and the inability to eat whatever I want any more. Like you, I could eat ANYTHING and lose weight instead. No longer. The hardest part is that I'm USED to being able to eat anything, and I still sort of think that I can, so my midsection and thighs hate me.

By the way--TAG! You're it!

http://diapersanddragons.blogspot.com/2008/11/b-cs-of-me.html#links

Anonymous said...

I'm understanding too!
I mean, pulling a muscle cleaning the tub....

Sigh

Anonymous said...

LOL- My gray hairs are reproducing faster than rabbits. I haven't colored yet either. I just wonder that after you start coloring, when exactly are you supposed to stop? Will I color for 30 years and then one day decide to stop and be half color/half gray til it grows out?

LoriM said...

I keep telling my husband I'm stopping coloring my hair when I turn 50 (next year!). I've been doing it for about, hm, 10 years? I keep studying older women with chic, short haircuts that are all silvery-gray. But I bet they have to color them THAT way, too. Sigh.