Monday, November 17, 2008

Five Things

When I started blogging, I swore I wouldn't do these Tag things, that I would just stick to the matter of this little big family that resides under my roof. However, seems I have a friend who, by her own admission, is quite addicted to this Blog Tagging. And I understand addictions (have I already mentioned my Big Three--chocolate, books, and Grande Green Shaken Iced Teas?). And I have come to realize through participating in a couple of them already that, really, the tagging topics tell tales in and of themselves about my family. So here goes:

I am supposed to share Five Things I Want My Kids to Know (Before They Grow Up). As an aside, TeacherMommy supposes that I am one of five people "who will no doubt do this with far more humor than I did." There's raising the bar, and I'm not sure I can live up to it about this topic. I may, in fact, lead us right down Serious Street.

1. Most importantly, I want my children to learn about, understand, and accept the unfathomable love of God. And within this understanding, I want them to comprehend the Grace that accompanies that incredible love. Because if they don't learn about the grace, they will fall into the same legalistic snare in which I was caught for so many years. This one lesson presents an awesome challenge and opportunity for Mark and me as parents. And we can't teach it without His help because we will fail miserably.

2. For the times I try to do it on my own, I hope my children will learn the freedom found in forgiveness: accepting forgiveness extended to them and offering forgiveness to others.

3. I want them to not only learn the Golden Rule, but put it into practice.

4. I want them to learn respect for others.

5. And I want them to learn to put their best effort into any task they undertake.

You would think that as a homeschooler, I would have some grand academic aspirations for my children, and I do. However, I don't think those aspirations can truly be achieved without becoming the kind of people who put into practice the Five Things I Want My Kids to Know.

And on a lighter note:

1. It would be absolutely grand if Jacob would learn to tie his shoes now that we've discarded the velcro. And now that he's SEVEN!!

2. If my almost 9-year-old would learn to brush her own hair and maybe even attempt a pony tail or braid by herself, that would be swell. I remind her all the time occasionally that at her age, I was at boarding school and almost completely self-sufficient. Of course, I was sporting one of those trendy bowl cuts so my hair was less of an issue, but still.

3. I would be the happiest mommy in the world if I didn't have to sweep the floor 10 times a day, so I would be most pleased if my children would learn to keep their food on their plates. Or in their mouths. Even on the table would be preferred. (On a separate note, if you do not own a Shark Cordless Sweeper (or something similar in nature), you are missing out on the best invention EVER!! My bloggy brain has written many an ode to my Shark; someday I will publish one such tribute.)

4. I would be ecstatic if the Princess would learn to wipe herself. Actually, I'd be happy to continue to do the wiping if the girl would just attempt to pull up her britches. I mean, I know it's difficult for royalty to bend down and all, but even just a small try would be greatly appreciated.

5. And if they could only learn to flush the toilet. (I don't like surprises.) And pee IN the toilet. Oh my life would be heavenly.

But you know, I take 'em and love 'em just as they are, try to impart to them what little wisdom I possess, pray like crazy for them, and hope they turn out alright in spite of me.

And because I'm quite sure my tagging benefits have expired with my bloggy friends, I won't tag anyone this time.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I would like my children to demonstrate that they not only know the Bible but can demonstrate Biblical principles for life in their daily behavior.

I would like my children to master humor, in all its grand intricacies, before they leave the house.

Peeing in the toilet, wiping, and the combing of hair are all extras. ;)

CrossView said...

The top ones are sweet and my goals, too.

The bottom ones are hilarious and I won't even mention how many I do relate to (or have in the past). ;o)

Kathleen said...

Arby ~ After all, what is life sans humor?

Crossview ~ Alas, you have disappointed me. I was counting on you to assure me that at age 9, something magic happens and there are no more crumbs, no more fights, no more whining. And dependence on Mom when she wants to feel wanted, yet complete independence on the small stuff...So, Crossview--no magic?

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your new blog! I followed you over from the link you left on Arby's facebook profile and am so glad I did!

I'm a bit ahead of you with my three daughters (21,20,18) and right with you with my son (5)! I'll tell you what, there is NO greater joy than getting to the other end of parenting and realizing that all those important desires we have for our children have largely come to pass. I have wept with gratitude recently at the realization that my girls love the Lord and want to serve Him with their lives. My 18 year old recently said about a boy she really likes "I'd rather lose him forever than risk doing something that wouldn't please the Lord." I had to work hard not to do a happy dance right then and there!!

And of course those little goals...well...those are the things that keep us humble!!

Neat post...thanks!

Teacher Mommy said...

OK, OK, I'll back off on tagging you--for a while, at least. :)

Besides, you started it!

Kathleen said...

Although I emailed her already, as a matter of public record, I feel I should tell TeacherMommy that I didn't mean to begrudge her the next tag. I actually enjoy the Blog Tagging because the topics give me something to write about, and of course, I always relate it back to my family. So, TeacherMommy, I'll be glad to play next time too!

CrossView said...

Um, I'll let you know when we get there??!! =P

Except for the hair. There's good news in that area! My now 12-yr old brushed her own hair regularly... =D