Sunday, November 23, 2008

Leftovers

We finished the first Little House book using The Prairie Primer, so rather than start a new book and then break for Thanksgiving, we focused last week on leftovers. And it was a veritable feast of Academic Leftovers indeed. Translation: unfinished projects, unread books, activities we just never quite got to when we were supposed to:

1. We finished reading Despereaux and are anxious for the movie.

2. Long ago, we began our unit on plants. We even got in a field trip. For the grand finale, we finished our lapbooks and did an experiment with white carnations and colored water.



3. Reading charts were completed. A bribe reward was redeemed: a treat of each child's choosing from Carvel. Three of them chose the cotton candy flavor. It took 3 days for the hot pink stuff to digest. I know this for a fact because I am the Princess' personal potty aide. They will not be ordering the cotton candy flavor again.



4. We finally got to a mini-unit on Simple Machines, one I meant to deliver a few weeks ago. Michael was so fascinated with the subject matter at hand, he spent a couple of hours rigging a machine of his own.



The problem with leftovers is that many times they aren't completely consumed. And they sit and rot in the fridge. Here's hoping that our History Timeline doesn't rot and have to be tossed with the end of the school year.

5 comments:

mareseatoats said...

Oooh! How do they make that color edible??? Scary! I'm sure the kids enjoyed every bite though!

dclouser said...

Loved seeing Michael's machine! Another advantage of home school - putting your lesson into practice in a spontaneous and creative way (and in p.j.'s yet!). Sounds like you all deserve some time off for Thanksgiving. Have a blast - we'll try not to be too jealous!

CrossView said...

We love Despereaux. Gor!

And I love those ice-cream faces! LOL!

"Leftovers" sounds like fun...

4 Lettre Words said...

What an amazing way to learn! I'm in awe of you!!

Oh, and I have 3 Chirstmas trees, too!! :o)


P.S. Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Teacher Mommy said...

I'm trying very hard to do something similar in my high school classes...I really don't want to give homework over break! Aren't I a wonderful teacher?

By the way, my blogroll told me that you posted on your MK site, a post called "Compound," but when I linked it said it wasn't found (the post, not the blog.) Did you remove that post? My curiousity is raging...