Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Glory Days

In an effort to revive my glory days--my glory days being those days when I shone on the roller skating rink, when I would simply and marvelously glide around the rink, my wheels spinning to the beat of Hip to be Square--I convinced my husband to accompany the kids and me to Homeschool Skate Day.

Much to my surprise, I was able to jump right back on the rink. Sort of like riding a bicycle, I guess. But unlike my glory days where I was free to go blazing through the disco lighting to the beat of Michael Jackson, I had 4 little ones with which to contend. I had to admire my boys--especially Michael--who, with dogged determination, taught themselves to skate. They fell, they got up; they fell, they got up; they fell, they got up. And they kept going until by the end of an hour or so, they were doing pretty well.


The girls were another story. Or, rather, Alex was another story. Audrey at least wanted to try. Plus, she's only 3! Audrey liked best when I would pick her up and skate her around the rink; I found out later, though, that this was against the rules, so that was the end of that. She was, however, by the end of our time there able to scoot around the carpeted room surrounding the rink. Baby steps. I think next time she might get it.

Alex tried once and gave up. It's a good thing she's smart because she'll make it one day on those smarts. But if she possesses an ounce of determination, it is determination NOT to keep trying at something. Some would call that stubborness. She even refused to admit whether or not she thought skating looked like fun. I told her next time she can bring a book.

As for Michael, I think he'll be adding "roller skates" to his letter to Santa this year. At least I'll have someone through whom I may re-live my Glory Days!

2 comments:

CrossView said...

LOL! I haven't skated in years.... Last time I did, I could stay up and go 'round and that was it. No backwards, no nothing. Just upright and forward....

My kids need a skating rink nearby. I don't think my youngest has ever skated! *gasp*

These days, I'm with Alex! =D

By the way, "stubborn" is such an ugly word! ;o)

mareseatoats said...

Boy, that takes me back! I'll have to see if our skating rink has a homeschool day although I think my chiropractor would have a fit if he found out. If there was such a thing as an alarm that would sound for people that shouldn't strap on skates- it would go crazy when I walked by. My neck and back issues and horrible coordination make for a bad mix. Our kids have skated in the cul-de-sac but a slick rink makes it way harder to stay upright. I know they'd love it though---the loud music, the disco ball, the games in the middle of the rink, the lousy nachos, the shag carpeted walls and benches, ...Those were the days!