Thursday, August 23, 2007

Instant Gratification

I did it. Today I did something I vowed I would never do again after my visit with Dr. Quack 11 years ago. But I simply couldn't live with this pain in my neck anymore (and, no, I'm not referring to my children or my husband!). And, as skeptical as I was (and still am to some degree), I really do feel better. I have gone this entire day without Tylenol or Advil, and I woke up this morning feeling surprisingly refreshed after my chiropractic adjustment yesterday.


The problem is that my treatment is not over, and this is where I get a little leary about the whole matter. The doctor told me I must come in, get this--THREE TIMES A WEEK! for the first couple of months. Not only would this be a financial drain even with just my co-pay if that is all my insurance requires, but where am I going to find an extra 6 hours a week to drive there, wait in the waiting room, wait in the exam room, be adjusted, wait for further instructions, and settle my bill?!? Not to mention the fact that dh is gone so often I would have the kids in tow more often than not. Wouldn't all of this stress add more stress to my already stressed out neck and shoulders?


I'm not sure this is all worth it. Of course, she claims that since the spinal cord is the central message center, chiropractic treatment will take care of a plethora of ailments such as my sinus problems and TMJ. Oh, to never take another Sudafed again or have to wear my Mike Tyson night guard. If these remedies could be absolutely not only promised but guaranteed, I would certainly consider it all worth the time and money.


On top of all of this, Mark has a pinched nerve, so he too has given in and, despite the fact that his skepticism about chiropractic medicine far surpasses mine, he went today. And he does feel better, but I'm sure you can guess how HE feels about going in three times a week (not that he physically can since he's not usually here).


So, with another appointment scheduled for the first of next week, I'm only left to wonder how it is in a world that moves at the speed of light these days, why can't all of my chiropractic problems just be fixed in one visit? Hey, I'd even very willingly do two. But then maybe the chiropractors wouldn't be able to stay in business, and they are after all the ones who are making me feel better!

No comments: