Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Rising to the Occasion


I'd be lying if I said I'm not at least a little proud that my first 5 loaves turned out perfectly. Well, nearly perfectly. They could have stayed in the oven another 5 minutes. I'm used to cakes and brownies where a clean toothpick tells you they're done. Having to tell the doneness by tapping on the baked good, well, that's going to take a little getting used to. Nevertheless, first batch is done. I'm completely satisfied with how it turned out. And I certainly won't fail to mention that it's pretty yummy, especially with my homemade strawberry-blackberry jam!

Alex asked me if I'm "going pioneer on [her]". No fear, my darling girl--your 21st century toys and electronics are yours for the keeping. However, I did warn my husband to be careful or I'll be taking over the kitchen. 'Course man can't live by bread alone, so I guess I'm he's safe.

8 comments:

CrossView said...

Looks delicious! Great job- you may have inspired me. LOL!

What did hubby say?

Courtney said...

And, what did the kids think? It looks really good!

Kathleen said...

The kids LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

Looks WONDERFUL!

Anonymous said...

Alex's comment on "going pioneer" made me laugh out loud! Tom Builder recently brought up around the dinner table a suggestion that as a family we take six months off from everything, build a cabin and try roughing it on our own. The kids were almost in tears at the thought!

The bread looks wonderful, so does that jam. I'm excited to see this new side of you. Did you ever think you'd have a blog label called "In the Kitchen"?

Kathleen said...

Ha! No, "In the Kitchen" doesn't sound much like me, does it?! :-)

LoriM said...

Yum! I want to learn to bake bread!! I was talking with a friend the other day about how I'm afraid of yeast. She said she is too! I thought I was the only one. Ha. On one of the two days I had off between jobs (approximately - it wasn't much time, thank goodness -and this was 4 years ago) I decided to teach myself to bake bread. It didn't turn out very good. I know it takes a lot of practice sometimes, so I guess I'll try again some day when I have time. I just love the smell of freshly baked bread. In the meantime I bought some frozen bread dough which might be next best?

LoriM said...

I loved the "pioneer" comment too. Did you ever see PBS' series on a group of families who tried to live like the pioneers? Pretty interesting:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/frontierhouse/project/series.html