Friday, January 9, 2009

Annual Non-Resolutions

In the Blog World, I stalk follow DeeDee over at Fiddledeedee. She makes me laugh. Everyday. And I need lots of laughter to stay healthy. Speaking of healthy (did you like that segue?), today DeeDee is encouraging her readers to offer their insights about health and weight loss. Because I'm so wise in this area, I thought I would share what is going on in our family. I've always been one to set New Year's Resolutions. Because I'm a big fan of new beginnings. However, in so doing...altogether now: I'm just setting myself up for failure.

So this year I've merely mentioned in casual conversation that as a Goal for 2009, I want our family to get healthier. I haven't made any lists about how to achieve this goal. And I haven't done anything drastic like empty my pantry into the trash. I also haven't outlawed all sweets. I've done all of these things before, and about 4 days into it, I end up making a late-night, 50 mile round-trip run to my favorite Italian restaurant for a giant piece of their 7-layer chocolate mousse cake. It's never pretty (the situation, not the cake--which is positively, fabulously, divinely pretty).

Now while I haven't made any actual lists, I do have a few ideas in my head. I'm taking this getting healthy thing in baby steps. There are just a few changes we've made or will make in this house toward healthier living. One is that we are cutting back on refined sugar. As much as possible, I'm replacing the white stuff with alternatives like honey, raw sugar, or Sucanat. Secondly, we're trying to cook with as many of the 10 power foods from the Sonoma Diet as possible. Those 10 foods are broccoli, tomatoes, grapes, blueberries, strawberries, almonds, extra virgin olive oil, whole wheat, spinach, and bell peppers. All foods I like. That's why I like the Sonoma Diet. Some diets want you to start the day with a Mango-Celery-Tofu shake, and I'm just not about that at all.

The biggest change we're making in this family is that we are taking one more giant leap toward becoming Homeschoolers of Stereotype (I think the only step left is to add some long skirts to my closet) (no offense): I'm going to start milling my own wheat for bread and other baking. I know...if you are personally acquainted with me, you can probably pull a few choice words from your hat that I've had to say about this in the past. But I've had a change of heart, plus when we stayed with our friends in Missouri, she made fresh bread for us, and it was really good. And easy. At least she made it look easy. So...I now have 90 pounds of wheat berries in 2 big buckets in my pantry. And I have a mill and mixer on the way. I already have a Kitchen Aid, but this mixer is all-powerful; this baby will mix enough dough for 5-7 loaves at a time.

I suppose I should address the topic of exercise as well. Although I wish to forget that it is an important component to a healthier me. I actually have been pretty consistent with hopping on the treadmill for my 30 minutes. Not everyday, though, if my schedule doesn't allow.

So those are our baby steps. We may add some more things (or take things out, whatever the case may be) as new reform becomes habit. Most importantly, I'm not beating myself up when I miss a day of exercise or sneak in a piece of leftover Almond Roca. Not that I'm confessing here or anything. And just as a reminder of all that's good and sweet, my two favorite kitchen books, ironically, stand side-by-side on my counter (ignore the bottle of brandy propping up the books; let's just say it goes well with the power foods):


7 comments:

@nnie said...

My sister has been doing the bread thing for years now and I am thinking of jumping on the bandwagon. Let me know how it goes! Also, I think you are right... baby steps is a good way for me to go at things too. Good luck and thanks for the inspiration.

Kathleen said...

I'm sure you'll see future posts about the breadmaking...whether they will be posts of failure or triumph remains to be seen! :-)

Darcie Johnson said...

I hope that you will document this with your pictures. Would love to try a slice as well. Good For you for trying something to improve the health of your family.

CrossView said...

Such great ideas! Where do I sign up? And I want the sign-up sheet that syas you do all that and send it to me! ;o)

Fiddledeedee said...

Good girl! I have a great affection for my breadmaker. And eating whole grains has really been a life-style change. A good one, at that! It's so much easier now, with so many more choices in the grocery store.

Good luck! (And thank you for the sweet compliment.)

Courtney said...

I've been thinking about bread making for years, but I thought that at 1-2 loaves at a time, ALL I'd be doing is making bread all day. 5-7 loaves! WOW! Maybe it's possible after all!

mareseatoats said...

My mouth is hanging open! We have had those conversations about bread baking. I never thought you'd cave before me!! So, you looking to sell that kitchen aid? ;-)