Sunday, February 27, 2011

A Sunday Afternoon

On Sunday afternoons, if I have my act together and do not have to use the time to plan school, I often go out by myself - to the store or photo hunting, just to get some time alone. I'm trying to do more with the kids, though, so when my husband suggested I take my oldest along, I didn't hesitate. Of course, I can't take one girl and not the other so we had a girls' afternoon.

We meant to raid the Closing Sale at Border's Bookstore, but when we got there, it looked like Disney World. Not the fun and magic of Disney World, but the lines and chaos. When I saw there was little in the store more than 20% off, we left and went to Barnes and Noble where my educator's discount gives me 20% off. And the books are all orderly. And the lines short.

The girls selected a book, and I picked up a couple of Horrid Henry books for the boys. As I handed the cashier my educator card, she asked if all of my purchases were school materials. I explained I am a homeschooler and that, while some may not view Horrid Henry as fine literature, if the boys are reading, these books are in my opinion school materials. I got my discount.

Oh, and how could I forget the most important part of our bookstore trip? There is a Starbucks in the Barnes and Noble. Green iced tea for me, hot chocolate for the girls. And we all shared a cinnamon scone.

On our way home, we passed a walking trail along the Farmington River. I noted a couple of potential picture spots, and we pulled over. Unfortunately, the trail is still covered by a couple feet of snow, and the girls did not have snow boots on. This lady had the right idea:

2-26 skiier

We enjoyed watching her ski by.

So we didn't stay long, but it was a fun little detour anyway.
2-26 girls

2-26 reflection

3 comments:

Brownie said...

Beautiful as always!

And TOO FUNNY! We are reading each other at the same time ROFL!!

Amy Sullivan said...

Beautiful pictures! I know everyone is over all of the snow, but I am already missing it. There is something about the snow that brings me such peace. . .espcecially when it looks like that!

tsinclair said...

Great memory made!