Thursday, February 24, 2011

Good to Wow: Pink Edition, Edited

It's been a busy week. I've been trying to spend less time on the computer and less time playing with pictures. And...we went to a museum today where I took TONS of pictures, pictures that are just a little more important than pictures of pink benches. So...I've been playing with those photos! Nevertheless, I did get my pinks done.

Here's the trash can SOOC:

And now:
I cropped it and increased the saturation. Using the healing tool, I removed the little red spigot thingy on the floor.

And here is the bench/trash can combo SOOC:

And now:
I lightened the shot up a lot by increasing the exposure in RAW. I still needed to lighten up the trash can and bench some more, but I didn't want to brighten the background anymore, so I selected trash can and lightened and increased saturation. Then, using the cloning tool, I made the entire back wall yellow and removed the big electrical outlet. Finally, I ran Coffeeshop's Urban Grit action and brushed it on to the rim of the trash can as well as the "fence" rail.

Finally, here is my Life is Pink shot SOOC:

And the re-do:
First, a crop. Then I increased the saturation and ran Coffeeshop's Pink Glow action followed by some cloning work. First, I edited out some of the shadows.

And last, I cloned out the poster that appeared in the store below the sign. I used the rectangle tool, pointer, alt key, and healing tool for the poster removal. To do this, I selected some of the pink polka-dotted background using the rectangle tool. Then I clicked on the pointer. This outlined the rectangle in the little moving ants. I then pressed alt and moved the rectangled selection. Clicking the alt key copies the selection rather than just leaving a hole. I placed the selection where I wanted it and then used the healing tool to clean up the line. I didn't do a perfect job healing the line, but it's sufficient. I also had to clone in a polka dot that was half missing because of the poster.

And that, folks was my Life in Pink.

16 comments:

CrossView said...

Ok, so you made a trash can look pretty. Weird. That must be what they call "art"... ;O)

Unknown said...

love the second one - definitely took that from good to WOW! great job!

Anonymous said...

I love the edit of the bench and trash can - love the bright yellow orange and pink - beautiful colors!

koreen (aka: winn) said...

I love the bench shot the best. The colors rock!

Tara said...

Love the pink trashcan and bench! Love the crop on the can...great edits!

Mommy2Four said...

Love the one with the bench! Great job!!!

Ashley Sisk said...

The bench shot really stands out for me this week - it now looks like a piece of pop art!

Courtney said...

Love your edits! The combo shot looks like a piece of art. The lighting adjustment is awesome. great job!

Michelle R said...

great job on these -- but your second one ROCKS the most!! Love the intensely bright colors!!

And you did a great job on your cloning -- I didn't notice it was off right away till I read what you wrote... :)

julie said...

Trash can & bench shot is incrediable!! LOVE the color intensity...I've always wished spiders would be pink like that trash can - I might not be so afraid of them!!

Garden Lily said...

Your trash/bench photo transformation is amazing!

FYH said...

That is really WOW...great edits!

Theresa said...

Oh gosh, I really need to learn how to do this!!! But then I would probably NEVER get off my computer!! lol. But it looks so fun!!

4 Lettre Words said...

They turned out great, Kathleen! I really love the bench.

Brownie said...

oh WOW! I am so impressed! What a great job. okay - little jealous *wink*

Rosie Nixon Fluerty said...

What a cool bench and waste paper basket - you really made the colours pop and really brought out the cerise in the pink.