Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Just the Facts

The other day I was trying to explain to Alex the expression, "Don't put all your eggs in one basket." I guess I have the perfect example here: I'm using all of my writing energy and skills on my curriculum and website, so unfortunately, there's nothing left for my blog (I'm sure my mil is going through Blog Withdrawal). Nevertheless, I'm back--but with nothing clever...just the facts.


The kids had their spring break Friday and yesterday. A friend came to visit, and the kids absolutely adore him, so I thought it would be a good time for a break. Saturday they had their first soccer game, which went well despite the obvious loss. Upwards leagues do not keep score at this age, but Michael informed me it was "like 20-0." Surprisingly, the game was much more like a soccer game than I had anticipated, and our two kids really are quite good at it, especially considering they've never played; I'm thinking we've found our niche (as opposed to basketball).





Saturday was a gorgeous day weather-wise, and we enjoyed some time outside in the evening with some other friends who came for dinner. The weather on Easter Sunday, of course, was not so wonderful. It never fails that the weather turn freezing cold on Easter. This is because the girls have adorable, new spring dresses. Next year I'm buying them Easter sweaters. Of course, if I do that, we'll have record highs.




Yesterday wasn't much better in the weather department. In fact, it snowed a little bit. When the first few flakes fell, the kids were so excited and yelled, "It's snowing, it's snowing." "Nah," I said, "that's just some pear blossoms blowing around in the wind." But no--they were right. I was wrong. Anyway, the snow was falling as we made our second trip to my new favorite place: Learning Things. Last time, the cold of the warehouse cut my visit short. This time I went prepared with two coats on and gloves. Nothing's gonna keep me from spending a fortune on books!


I also made off with a microscope (which completely caused the budget to fly out the window--don't tell my husband!!), complete with some sample slides which the kids have already studied this morning. We have also taken a look at some of Alex's skin which she generously donated. I haven't yet taken her up on her offer of pricking her finger to provide some blood to study. Her other suggestion was that she go out and skin her knee so I could get some bleeding that way. I think we'll stick with the prefab slide of frog's blood for now.

No comments: