Thursday, October 4, 2007

Quiet, please...

...we're in the Hundred Acre Woods. (And we're trying to enjoy the show!) This morning we fought bumper-to-bumper traffic to venture downtown Atlanta to the Center for Puppetry Arts. Last year we enjoyed a wonderful performance of Charlotte's Web, so we expected nothing less for Winnie-the-Pooh. However, it was just mediocre this time. The complaint I had about the performance itself is rather strange, but everyone is by now accustomed to a bit of strangeness coming from yours truly, so here goes: It really creeped me out that they had a man's voice for Christopher Robin! Yes, strange but true.


My bigger complaint was not about the puppets and puppeteers but the audience! Although we were late, everyone else was stuck in the same traffic and trickled in even later than my group. As a result, we got a front row. The rest of the seats were filled by one, gigantic daycare group. I'm not pointing that out because I dislike daycares, but because I know kids get a little less personal attention in a group under a few teacher's supervision rather than lots of mommies. These kids were so obnoxious! Talking and yelling out and interacting with the puppets the whole time. It really became difficult to hear the show. Even little Audrey got perturbed; she spent a good portion of the performance turning around and shushing the loud little boy that was sitting directly behind us. While I would normally shush her shushing, I think it was quite appropriate under the circumstances. The teachers sure weren't shushing anyone.


I'll tell you what, though...being in a full auditorium where your row of kids appear angelic can be a good morale booster!

No comments: