Saturday, August 8, 2009

Blueberries for Audge

Kerplink! Kerplank! Kerplunk! Audrey has so enjoyed our reading of McCloskey's Blueberries for Sal. We have begun our adventures in Before Five in a Row. "Begun" as in we started smack in the middle of the curriculum because I love Robert McCloskey so much and bought my own copy of the precious Little Sal/Little Bear mix-up.

Audrey was so cute as we walked beside Little Sal on a daily walk up blueberry hill. Each time we would get to the part where Little Sal would start tramping behind the mama bear and Little Bear would start tramping behind Sal's momma, her eyes would twinkle, and she would say, "Uh oh! They're all mixed up!"

She also loved acting the book out everyday. She would Kerplink! Kerplank! Kerplunk! three blueberries in her little metal cup, then Kerplunk! one more, and then eat all 4 of them. A very simple math lesson found in that.

And then for the finale of the week...blueberry picking.





I mentioned that the blueberry picking was a finale...of the week, not the unit. I'm not ready to leave Little Sal yet. Next week we study bears and do some baking with our blueberries.

3 comments:

dclouser said...

I love that book, too. Sounds like your school year is off to a great start!

CrossView said...

And that's one of the many reasons that I love Pre-K! I'm envious here... LOL!

Unknown said...

I love to eat blueberries. The lunch lady in high school knew that, and she hid a slice of blueberry pie for me every day. I miss her. I don't think I'd have the patience to pick them. But, it looks like they had fun!