Thursday, May 29, 2008

Tag Team

I know every parent thinks they have the cutest, brightest, best kids in the world. But I really do. Yesterday I reluctantly promised the kids a pool day. Reluctantly because it's still a little chilly. I did finally make it in up to my waist, but I didn't last for long. So that left 4 children in the pool with me lifeguarding. I'm not sure how it came up, but Alex decided she wanted to teach Jacob how to swim. I watched with interest for over an hour as Alex very patiently worked with Jacob! "Watch me, Jacob, then you try." "First try it out of the water, then get in and give it a try." "You're OK. I'm right here if you need me." "Here, grab my hands. I've got you."


While Alex was working with Jacob, Audrey was floating around in her wings and ring. Michael decided to take her under his wing by leading her around, each of them holding on to the end of a noodle. She just ate up the attention from her big brother, and he was so gentle as he took her on an imaginary trip and communicated with her. " Now we're going to just pull over here for some gas, OK?" "Alright, all filled up. Let's go!"


It was so sweet to watch all four of them. Michael shone as a sweet big brother. Alex did such a great job and was a wonderful teacher. And...Jacob learned a lot! He's so close to swimming now and will venture into the deep end with just his wings rather than his wings AND his floatie ring. At one point, Alex asked me if we could go out for ice cream once Jacob has learned to swim. I said of course we could, or maybe we could even go to Chuck E. Cheese. That incentive got them so excited, I'm quite sure they're going to be begging for another pool day today.

No comments: