Saturday, May 24, 2008

Milestones

Diapers are behind us. And, really, the Princess doesn't use a sippy cup much anymore either. So the diaper bags have been left behind as well. And as of last Tuesday, the 20th, I've got my little stair steps back: my older three are ages 6, 7, and 8. My baby boy is 6! My baby boy is 6. Just letting that sink in.



I was thinking last night about another sort of milestone we've passed. I was pondering this milestone around 10:30 last night when all 7 of the children were finally asleep. Yes, I said 7 children. Jacob had his birthday sleepover last night and invited three of his buddies over. We have always been proponents of the somtimes controversial "Babywise", so our children have always been driven by schedules. Throw off the schedule? You end up with a grumpy baby and a bad day for everyone. I realized last night, though, that we're finally past that as well: our children can have the occasional really late night and then be up early (early!) the next morning, and they'll be OK. Even my littlest one survives pretty well the next day. It's another milestone. Kind of a strange one to say I've passed, but just a reminder that they're all growing up very quickly.


Seeing Jacob interact with all of his friends last night was a reminder to us of how much he's grown over the past year--how brave and confident he's become. All of the boys had fun just being boys. I had nothing really planned, so they just enjoyed one another's company. I also didn't make the cake. Had I taken the time to make it, I imagine it would have been a little more masculine than the Care Bears rainbow cake I ordered from Publix. I removed the Care Bears and replaced them with Webkinz figurines since my boy had requested a Webkinz party. I think he'll need a manly construction or motorcyle-themed party next year to make up for the rainbows.




Rainbows or not, my boy has officially said good-bye to all things toddler, preschool, and kindergarten. Just another milestone. And I know if we blink too long, we'll be staring Pomp and Circumstance in the face. Better savor the moments while we can!

No comments: