Friday, October 3, 2008

Sleepless in Atlanta

Although I'm very used to being a Married Single Mom, I always miss my husband when he's traveling. This past week he wasn't far--just downtown--but he may as well have been a few states away since he was actually staying downtown. So when he called me yesterday afternoon to see if I wanted to come down for the night, I at first jumped at the chance. But then I remembered: Oh yeah, I have 4 kids. I was a little hesitant to go becuase there was no suite this time, just a little room. Plus, I wanted to watch the debate. The kids, however, were chomping at the bit to go. I expressed my concern about them actually getting any sleep since we'd have the news going until 11:00.

"Oh, but Mom, we LOVE to fall asleep with the TV on!"

Now, who's going to fall for THAT? Well, yours truly did because 2 hours later we were on our way downtown. We had a lovely evening--dinner at a Japanese steakhouse, which coincides well with the fact that we will be studying Japan next week. Then we tried to settle them down for bed. Of course, it didn't help that their beds were right in front of a picture window on the 42nd floor. "This is a great place to play I Spy!" one of them said. And falling asleep with the TV on? Right. Didn't happen. Three of the four did finally get to sleep, and the last one gave in once the TV was turned off. Didn't last for long, however. One or the other was up at some point during the night.

A sleepless night but a fun outing. I'm sure we'll trade sleep for a change of pace the next time the opportunity arises.

No comments: