Friday, October 31, 2008

Corncobs and Little Life Lessons

Since teaching 4 children, starting a business, and trying to keep the house saleable clean does not keep me busy enough, I decided to throw in some more curriculum. Just to shake things up a bit, and just in case the kids aren't learning enough with the adequate teaching materials I already possess. Truth be told, my aforementioned curriculum addiction is the likely culprit. At any rate, we began working through the Prairie Primer this week, and I absolutely love it! I've always been a fan of Laura and her Little House, and this is a wonderful way to pass a beloved series on to another generation. And so far, so good.

Today we made corncob dolls. Even the boys. And, yes, of course their daddy couldn't be prouder. After the dolls were assembled, I informed my little pioneers that for one hour they would only be permitted to play with their doll. Obviously, this was met with a chorus of "why"s. Life's little lessons dictate that we must learn, like Laura, to be satisfied with what he have and to entertain ourselves with what is available to us.

After my edict, I overheard whispered boy plans: "Let's rip the corncob apart!" In order to save my carpet from corncob guts, I gave another lecture about respect and taking care of what we have. Reluctantly, they began to play with and care for their dolls, although the boys continued to be boys. Michael held his over a cold burner on the stove. "Look," he exclaimed, "I'm burning its head. Can I color its head black where it got burned?" Great idea, Michael.

Although the hour was a long one, they busied themselves with the doll. However, I did allow some non-Olden Days items: markers and construction paper with which they made food for their dolls. The fact that they made bear meat, carrots, and an assortment of berries at least assures me that they've been listening to the story.

7 comments:

mareseatoats said...

Welcome to blogger! I love the new page. You'll have to teach me how to use something besides the run of the mill stuff they have on here. Yours is great!

Holding the doll over the stove. Oh my. Well at least you know his boyness is fully functioning. :-) I hate to think what my boy would do with one of those when left to play with it for an hour. What a great activity, by the way. Our kids don't know how good they have it!

Anonymous said...

Love the new site Katy! Your telling of corn cob dolls and their individual fates was so comical. I can just see Michael holding that doll over the burner. Now let's see how the girls do with the bladder balloon!

Kathleen said...

Yeah, not gonna do the bladder balloon! We have the owl vomit ready to go...well, that will be another story, I'm sure! :-)

@nnie said...

Katy,

How thoughtful of you to take the time for this entire project! The making of the doll and then having four kids play with the doll for an hour? Big Wow! I am thoroughly impressed and find the boy antics so comforting. (sorry!) My kids aren't homeschooled, but I did read some of the Little House on the Prairie series to them last year... it is a great way to take them back in time, if just for a moment. Blessings!

CrossView said...

I love the differences in the way boys and girls play!
Our baby boy (26 now) used to put a monster head on a broken Barbie to play dolls with our youngest. But I figured that he was interacting with her... =P

And welcome to Blogger! Is it ok if I stalk you over here now??!!

Kathleen said...

Crossview ~ I'm really choosy about my stalkers, but...I guess you'll do! :-)

I think boys in a family are always a great balance for the girls...keeps the girls from becoming too prissy!

CrossView said...

ROFL! Thank you. I'm honored! =P