Saturday, October 25, 2008

Jennie

I've never posted about her. Realistically, I've begun many posts about her but just never quite got them finished or published. In fact, this very post has taken days to get down. It's been hard to find the words. And, although the moments of our family life I record here are precious to me, sometimes the details have seemed so insignificant when compared to what Jennie has endured the last couple of years. Two and a half years ago, Jennie and her husband John received the crushing news that would change their lives: stage four cancer. And for two and half years, John has steadfastly stood by her side as she fought with courage, strength, and an unwavering faith which seemed to grow with each passing day.

In the early morning hours of October 19, Jennie finished her earthly battle and went on to begin her new and everlasting life with her Lord. I find such joy in picturing her in her perfect, cancer-free body running and dancing. In fact, just this morning I said to my husband, "I wonder what Jennie's been doing in Heaven over the last week." She is, I'm sure, discovering the indescribable peace, joy, and love that only comes from our Father; she is being blessed as she blessed us here.

Jennie was beautiful inside and out. While I won't dwell on her outer beauty (you can see that for yourself in the pictures), I do remember being in a doctor's office with her and hearing the nurse practitioner tell her she looked great--too good to be so sick. Jennie was a woman characterized by grace, loyalty, and integrity. She was known for her honesty and candor. She didn't waste her words frivolously and always meant what she said. She had a wonderful sense of humor and a contagious laugh. She was known to become so overcome with laughter she would laugh until tears streamed down her face. And you couldn't do anything but laugh with her. (If such a thing can be captured on film, see my slide show from last Thanksgiving in my post called "Top Ten..." )

Jennie was full of life and fun, and I have wonderful memories of her. There was the midnight ER visit in New York City, the phosphorescent bay in Puerto Rico, and many family gatherings where we two sisters-in-law stuck together and shared many laughs. I loved Jennie, and she made a huge impact on me and on so many others. In fact, she and John both touched our lives in a way that sparked a huge and continuing period of spiritual growth for Mark and me. And they touched lives everywhere they went...on the phone, through visitors, in hospitals. One of Jennie's doctors told me just the other day how impressed he was with Jennie, her faith, her sense of humor, and her positive outlook on life. Jennie's positive attitude impacted many; often she comforted the very people who came to comfort her.

She was a bright spot in our lives, and I consider it an honor to have called her my sister. Jennie, I love you and will miss you!


No comments: