Tuesday, June 10, 2008

OK, so I'm not a contender...

Yep. Definitely not getting the Mom of the Year Award after today. And I can't say I'm particularly proud of what I did. However, I did very much enjoy my relaxing hour all to myself. We had school today--we're making up for the couple of weeks I took off when I was preparing the house to sit on the market, generating absolutely no interest. We concluded our day by beginning a unit on healthy eating and the food pyramid. I explained each part of the pyramid to them, ending with the straight facts on good fats and bad fats and, of course, sugar. Following this, our discussion turned to exercise and the importance of daily activity like swimming and riding our bikes.


After school was over, I had a brilliant idea. Despite the sermon I had just delivered about junk food and exercise, I promptly bribed rewarded them with popcorn, candy, and a movie. What's worse, when they were all comfortably settled, popcorn in one hand and candy in the other, eyes glued to the screen, I carried out the rest of my master plan: I snuck out to the pool ALL BY MYSELF! And, oh, it was glorious! Lying there on my raft on the quiet water, disturbed only by the gentle ripples produced by the jets; the sound of the peaceful breeze interrupted only by the melodious songs of a multitude of birds, tunes I have never noticed over the squealing, shouting, and bickering of 4 children.


I knew it couldn't last for long, but I savored every moment of it and was lost in the rays of the sunlight. Just as I was drifting off, a loud rapping noise awakened me from my reverie. The knocking came from the window in the upstairs media room, a room which, unfortunately for me, overlooks the pool. I had been discovered. And it wasn't but a few moments until the movie was forgotten and 4 children were piling on top of me in the pool, turning my placid calm into delightful chaos.


So since I'm not vying for any super mom awards, the evil mama in me had to pause to pose this one question: Is this what it would be like if all the children were in school? I mean, I know they would be on vacation right now, but would my Mays and Augusts consist of hours of lazing around the pool ALL BY MYSELF. Not having to bribe reward. Not having to hide. Just me? Hmmm....On this I shall have to ponder!

No comments: