Friday, November 26, 2010

Tradition Revision

I dreaded Thanksgiving a bit this year for two reasons: First, we wouldn't be celebrating with family, and second, since there were no family babysitters to stay all night with the kiddos, I would be missing out on my annual all-night Black Friday date with my husband.

The first problem was remedied because we were able to share a delicious Thanksgiving meal with some longtime friends of ours from Georgia who moved up here last year. It was a wonderful time of catching up and enjoying a relaxing day. And as we were winding down our time together, it dawned on me: a girls' night out would be just as fun as my traditional shopping adventure with my better half.

We made arrangements for later on, and our friends left. I headed to bed shortly after they left and may or may not have gotten about an hour's sleep before I headed out at 1:00am to meet my friend. I met her at Wally World where we knocked a couple of things off of our shopping list. Then we headed to my favorite mall, which is in New York.

Even at 4:00, the mall was quite full, and the line for Target was much too long to tackle at the moment, so we wandered around and visited some other shops were we found a few other treasures.

We had a lot of fun together chatting, looking for deals, and...waiting in lines. Surprisingly, it was already 9:00 by the time we headed back to Connecticut.

So did we start a new tradition? Quite possibly...at least one that will last until the children are old enough to stay at home by themselves.

3 comments:

Bunch of Barrons said...

I've never been much on black Friday shopping...but sounds like y'all had a great time. And traditions, new and old, are always sweet.

tsinclair said...

So glad you had some friends to spend Thanksgiving with.

Also, it must be nice to be able to pop over to NY for shopping. :-)

CrossView said...

Ooh! You're making... LEMONADE! Yay! Guy had to work this time so I had a date with my girls and we had fun. But I did miss my escape time with Guy.

And how is it that someone else from Georgia ended up in Connecticut?