Sunday, September 7, 2008

Disney Journal 2

Thursday (9/4) - We had a perfect day at Epcot today! And the kids loved it; in fact, they preferred it over Magic Kingdom. Surprising, but they just loved the space ride, Test Track, and Soarin'! The boys were the only ones brave enough to do the full version of the space thing, and the G force nearly did their daddy in, but they were begging to go again. They did get to do the Test Track a couple of times, but Soarin' was too busy for repeat rides. I'll have to admit, Soarin' was a pretty cool ride, although I would have made a couple of changes: With the "wind" in my face (which, incidentally, is wind created by my husband's company's fans), I really did feel like I was hang gliding; however, I would have liked a little more swooping and turning and maybe some ocean spray on my feet when we soared over the surf. Anyway...with the task of collecting mask charms at each country, the kids quickly walked around the "world" with few complaints, and we had a wonderful lunch in Morocco followed by dessert in France. Yummy! With the exception of Soarin', off-season, homeschool vacations win again because there was barely a crowd!



Friday (9/5) - A great day to take it easy. However, Hurricane Hanna brushed the state of Florida, so we woke up to light rain, wind, and overcast skies. Not a good pool day. But we had fun in the hotel. We rented a couple of movies for the kids. After one of the movies, the kids participated in a children's craft and made clay animals. And Alex and I had projects of our own: one became more my project than anyone else's. I thought the kids would enjoy trading pins, but I wasn't able to drum up as much enthusiasm as I thought, so I took over the new hobby. Hey, I'm at Disney: I can act like a kid and enjoy it! Our second new hobby was inspired by Steven Barrett's book Hidden Mickeys: A Field Guide to Walt Disney World's Best-Kept Secrets. Alex and I explored the hotel, on the prowl, looking for hidden mickeys. And we found all but two of the little mouse profiles hiding at our resort. We enjoyed ourselves and have tucked the book away for our next visit. Our day ended with dinner at the Boma Restaurant, which was supposed to have quite an offering of African food. We didn't find the buffet to be worth the money, and except for a few North African dishes like couscous and hummus, there wasn't a whole lot of African fare.

See the hidden Mickey at the bottom of the shield?


Saturday (9/6) - Today was a beautiful, sunshiny day. Perfect for the pool. And that's what we did all day, although we did sneak in another craft: the kids enjoyed making wooden giraffes, a great keepsake to take home. The kids also requested to take part in a nightly African drum parade through the lobby of the resort. Noisy but cute.

Sunday (9/7) - We left at 8:30 and were home and unpacked by 5:30. It's good to be home. I guess. I keep looking out the window hoping to see a giraffe saunter by. And I'll miss my personal fireworks show tonight at 10:00. But since we are home now, it's time to avoid restaurants and hop on the treadmill. Oh, and I guess we need to resume our academics.

No comments: