Friday, February 8, 2013

Blizzard

I'm a mean mom. While all the other schoolchildren within a 100 mile radius (at least!) are enjoying a day off school because of the approaching blizzard, I am forcing my children to continue on with their schoolwork as usual. But we'll make up for it when we're soaking up the sun at Disney in May while the rest of the schoolchildren are tackling final exams.

This has been an exceptionally smooth year of school in our home. This year I have not dealt with attitudes from any of the kids regarding getting schoolwork done. Nor has there been much frustration over learning any of the material. It's just been an easy, smooth year. I know it's not me. I'm pretty sure it's the kids. I've got good kids.

I suppose the goodness in them is what kept them from complaining too much when I announced school was still in session this morning. Not that there is much else to do when one is housebound. And I suppose the fact that we are trapped inside by snow is what inspired me to once again pick up my blogging pen and put it to virtual paper. Of course the picturesque view from the window which keeps distracting me from the computer screen is quite inspiring in itself.

Audrey captures the scene from the camera on her handheld device.
She laments that the grill ("What is that thing called? You know, the outdoor oven thing?") 
is part of two of her shots, but that one shot turned out "well".

I've said before that I feel a bit like Jonah who caused the great storm that rocked the ship. Not that we were running from anything when we moved to Connecticut, but since this blizzard is at least the third or fourth "historic/record-breaking" event since our move up here just two years ago, I feel like local residents may soon want us to leave the Constitution State!

Whether or not Mother Nature cares one way or another where our family resides, so long as the power stays on so that we remain warm, I'm not opposed to enduring a blizzard. And the kids sure will have fun when it's all over and they can roll around in it! As for me, I'm enjoying this cozy, lazy day and the beauty of watching the snow fall.

Linking with Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers and Kris' Weekly Wrap-Up. "Weekly" is being a bit dishonest since I haven't been here in WEEKS, but I have to start somewhere, right?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

We had school too, but with breaks for snow play outside. And the public school kids had a half day, getting home by 1:00. We're of the mindset that it's good to get the days in now and have off the warmer, sunnier ones for hiking, early swimming and kayaking! LOL

I think you're getting worse in CT than we are in ME tonight, but we're all going to be doing some shoveling in the morning. ::sigh:: Winter is back!

Sylvia said...

We are in the path of Winter storm Nemo too! It's not supposed to amount to much more than 4 inches in Upstate NY though. Local schools just had an early dismissal. However, we did not have school!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for popping by my blog! And I agree with you, there is a special kind of quiet beauty to falling snow! Enjoy your week!

Courtney said...

Glad you are still blogging, Friend! Although, I'm not glad about the blizzard. Stay safe!

Bunch of Barrons said...

Hope you stay safe in the storm!